Head Explode

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Your Favourite Documentaries

Maugrim
    Maugrim
    Pleb

Your Favourite Documentaries Empty Your Favourite Documentaries

Post  Maugrim Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:02 pm

having just re-watched "The War on Democracy", a documentary about US involvement in regime changes in Latin America, I'm curious to know which are some of your favourite documentaries...

here are some of mine:

"The Tiger Next Door"
    "Winged Migration"
    "Flow: How do a handful of Corporations steal our Water Supply"
    "The Inside Job"
    "Food Inc."
    "Supersize Me"
    "Forks Over Knives"
    "The Corporation"
    "Capitalism: A Love Story"

and though it's a dramatized documentary "Fast Food Nation" was entertaining.. and not just cause Avril Lavigne was in it... though it helped lol.
    Tezcatlipoca
    Tezcatlipoca
    Internet Messiah
    Internet Messiah

Your Favourite Documentaries Empty Re: Your Favourite Documentaries

Post  Tezcatlipoca Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:01 pm

Excellent question. I love documentaries and feel there are some really overlooked classics floating around out there.

I echo your praise for Super Size Me, a well intentioned if somewhat dishonest look at the obesity epidemic and who is really responsible for it. The only problem I have with it being Spurlock's choice to knowingly consume an excess of sugar even after his nutritionist cautioned him repeatedly not to drink his calories. Basically, if you look at the numbers at the end where he talks about consumin x pounds of sugar, that was his decision, not McDonald's. He could have gone diet or just gotten bottled water. As far as the saturated fat goes...well, you're kinda fucked there.

Now the interesting thing is a fellow indie documentarian took it upon himself to undergo the same challenge with the stated goal of proving it is possible to eat fast food 3 times a day in a responsible manner. To make a long story short, he lost 12 lb.s and lowered his cholesterol. The film is called Fat Head. I have yet to watch it myself but at a glance, it appears to contain a lot more real science on exactly why people get obese and stay there. Seems like a must watch.

The Corporation was also really, really good. I have not seen the others on your list but I'm sure they're worth adding to my to-watch list.

Other documentaries I think are worth watching:
    The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters (one of the best and most entertaining films I've ever seen)
    Pumping Iron
    Roger & Me
    Bowling for Columbine
    The Future of Food
    Orwell Rolls in His Grave
    Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media
    The Merchants of Cool
    Tezcatlipoca
    Tezcatlipoca
    Internet Messiah
    Internet Messiah

Post  Tezcatlipoca Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:28 pm

Not sure if this will work

Tezcatlipoca
    Tezcatlipoca
    Internet Messiah
    Internet Messiah

Post  Tezcatlipoca Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:27 pm

Alright, so now having watched the documentary above twice in its entirety, I can say it is a good, informative film and he does a great job of calling Spurlock out on his dishonesty/irresponsibility. The only things I disliked were 1) the incredibly patronizing, condescending matter-of-fact narration and 2) the horrible song accompanying the credits. It all paints the picture of a guy who thinks he's so god damned clever.

Nonetheless, solid doc. Worth watching.
    This Fuckin Guy
    This Fuckin Guy
    Noobku

Post  This Fuckin Guy Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:30 pm

Actually, I too had an issue with the "tone" of the film. And I wasn't liking the movie until about halfway through, then I started to like it. I had to get over that smug prick's attitude and just listen to what he was saying, and I realized that he was bringing some really good thinking to the table. His experiment was great, and I found the end experiment even more impressive. When arrogant sombitches can back themselves up, I let their attitude slide.

Last edited by This Fuckin Guy on Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : lulz)
    knave
    knave
    Pleb

Post  knave Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:37 pm

I don't know about my all time favorite but a few months ago I saw a very good one, produced by ESPN (of all people). It's called The Two Pablos, and it tells (via switching back and forth) the stories of Pablo Escobar and a soccer player for the Colombian national team who scored an "own goal" in the World Cup against the USA, eliminating the Columbian team. The team was financed largely by Escobar. The player-Pablo was a good guy, and was hounded and eventually shot outside a nightclub in Bogata not longer after the World Cup. Very good film.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:02 am