Head Explode

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

You know, there were some really good pop songs in the 80's.

This Fuckin Guy
    This Fuckin Guy
    Noobku

You know, there were some really good pop songs in the 80's. Empty You know, there were some really good pop songs in the 80's.

Post  This Fuckin Guy Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:53 am

In A Big Country - Big Country

Always really liked this song. I just found out recently that the lead singer committed suicide.

Voices Carry - 'Til Tuesday

Fucking great track. Always loved it and I dig Aimme Mann.

Oingo Boingo - Stay

I was a huge Boingo fan growing up. I was pretty obsessed. I'm amazed at how well most of their work still sounds fresh to my ears. Danny Elfman looks especially insane in this video. The guitar work always sounded so awesome to me.

It seems like music in the 70's and 80's and even the 90's was more melodic. For some reason a lot of 80's pop songs seemed to have a more "mature" feel to them, like the songs were better developed. I wonder if this was because it was still believed by labels that only the best music would sell? Pop music these days doesn't seem as melodic to me, a lot of it has become really jagged sounding, annoying and immature. I can't explain it very well. I think it might have to do with the fact that once labels realized that it wasn't necessary to only release the "best" bands and that the quantity of units sold wasn't equal to the quality of the music, things changed. The formula now is only based on what sells - plain and simple. And what sells tends to be different from what you think would sell. See: LMFAO, Justin Bieber, Kesha, etc.
    This Fuckin Guy
    This Fuckin Guy
    Noobku

You know, there were some really good pop songs in the 80's. Empty Re: You know, there were some really good pop songs in the 80's.

Post  This Fuckin Guy Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:54 am

Tez - I just got this message:

New members are not allowed to post external links or emails for 7 days. Please contact the forum administrator for more information.

So I couldn't post the video links. elephant

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Original post edited, board settings investigation to follow shortly. Still getting the hang of this new software.
    -Tez
    Tezcatlipoca
    Tezcatlipoca
    Internet Messiah
    Internet Messiah

You know, there were some really good pop songs in the 80's. Empty Re: You know, there were some really good pop songs in the 80's.

Post  Tezcatlipoca Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:06 am

This Fuckin Guy wrote:In A Big Country - Big Country

Always really liked this song. I just found out recently that the lead singer committed suicide.

Voices Carry - 'Til Tuesday

Fucking great track. Always loved it and I dig Aimme Mann.

Oingo Boingo - Stay

I was a huge Boingo fan growing up. I was pretty obsessed. I'm amazed at how well most of their work still sounds fresh to my ears. Danny Elfman looks especially insane in this video. The guitar work always sounded so awesome to me.

It's funny you should post that Big Country song because I was JUST listening to it myself last week on repeat for like 30 minutes. I agree, Big Country were awesome, obv. I see them as being in the same vein as Echo & The Bunnymen, i.e., unsung U2 analogs/(arguably) superiors.

RE: Voices Carry, I find stuff like this enjoyable in limited quantities but the problem is a TON of songs in the 80s sound so similar to this that it just gets old real fast.

Oingo Boingo...I'm having a hard time understanding the appeal. :o No disrespect intended, holmes.

This Fuckin Guy wrote:It seems like music in the 70's and 80's and even the 90's was more melodic. For some reason a lot of 80's pop songs seemed to have a more "mature" feel to them, like the songs were better developed.

A lot of 80s stuff (Michael Jackson, Prince, etc.) has aged like wine because pop wasn't always synonymous with awful. I mean, even now there are pop singers I find tolerable. But mainly I just kind of think pop music officially went to shit with the boy bands of the 90s. Like, basically I blame MTV for talent now being a secondary prerequisite to marketability for success as a musical "artist." To wit, Justin Bieber's probably an okay singer but that's not why he's so popular. (I've actually never heard him sing; the same goes for Kesha, Katy Perry, etc. Basically I've taken pains to consciously avoid anything pop that came out in the past 4 years).

This Fuckin Guy wrote:I wonder if this was because it was still believed by labels that only the best music would sell? Pop music these days doesn't seem as melodic to me, a lot of it has become really jagged sounding, annoying and immature. I can't explain it very well. I think it might have to do with the fact that once labels realized that it wasn't necessary to only release the "best" bands and that the quantity of units sold wasn't equal to the quality of the music, things changed. The formula now is only based on what sells - plain and simple. And what sells tends to be different from what you think would sell. See: LMFAO, Justin Bieber, Kesha, etc.

I agree completely. Specifically, I kind of fell in love with Nelly Furtado back in the day mainly because she was so different from Britney and Christina and she didn't dress like a stripper. But now she too is being produced to sound like every other shit pop singer out there. She's also way more, well, whorish.

Tezcatlipoca
    Tezcatlipoca
    Internet Messiah
    Internet Messiah

Post  Tezcatlipoca Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:18 am

This Fuckin Guy
    This Fuckin Guy
    Noobku

Post  This Fuckin Guy Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:17 am

The Fixx was a great band.

Tezcatlipoca
    Tezcatlipoca
    Internet Messiah
    Internet Messiah

Post  Tezcatlipoca Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:04 am

And don't forget Alphaville!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 pm