Head Explode

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

A Fellow Named Ray and a Cat Named Matt

Lysser
    Lysser
    Newfag

A Fellow Named Ray and a Cat Named Matt Empty A Fellow Named Ray and a Cat Named Matt

Post  Lysser Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:59 pm

So, at the beginning of October, I took a weekend trip to Philly to see Ray Lamontagne and the Pariah Dogs, and then Matt Nathanson the next night.

Ray was a solid show. Nice crowd, amazing atmosphere. Sexy raspy voice. Ray dresses like he's Amish, but I think that's just because he's trying too hard to be cool by being anti-fashion. He really draws you into his songs, and it's reminiscent of the the time I saw M. Ward in concert. It's just hypnotizing and relaxing.

Matt Nathanson's show was fantastic. Matt's shows are always part music, part comedy. He's just got this quirky, humble attitude. He's not trying too hard to fit into the industry, he just is who he is, and I like that. His Celine Dion impression left everyone bursting with laughter. He and his guitarist rocked a Simon and Garfunkel cover. They did their own rendition of "Blister in the Sun." Matt's songs are much different from his original singer/songwriter style back in the day, but I don't think it's in a bad way. His songs are tighter, some of them more radio-friendly, yet I don't ever feel like they're lacking substance or musicality, and I like his experimentation with other styles and the addition of songs with some guest singers.

After the show, he stayed over 2 hrs while people waited in line to meet him and take pictures and stuff. I had met him once before, and when I told him it was back in 2004, he was taken aback. "Whoa, 2004? Really?" He signed my poster which he said was awesome because, "It glows in the fucking dark." and told me the first girl he ever made out with was named Alyssa. How does a gal respond to that? Hot damn.

We were one of the last ones at the venue, it was raining, and everyone had stolen all the cabs, so we popped into the only bar in the area, right next to the venue to have a drink while waiting on a cab to make its way across town. It was there that we met Matt's band, as well as Vanessa Carlton's violinist (Vanessa was Matt's opening act). They were super sweethearts. At one point I may have called the adorable Jewish keyboardist an anti-Semite and threatened to take his job as Matt's keyboardist.

Anyway, 'twas good times.
    Tezcatlipoca
    Tezcatlipoca
    Internet Messiah
    Internet Messiah

A Fellow Named Ray and a Cat Named Matt Empty Re: A Fellow Named Ray and a Cat Named Matt

Post  Tezcatlipoca Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:49 pm

I am surprised to see this was posted a full week ago and I am just noticing it now. There's probably too many links in that topics box to the right.

Lysser wrote:So, at the beginning of October, I took a weekend trip to Philly to see Ray Lamontagne and the Pariah Dogs, and then Matt Nathanson the next night.

Ray was a solid show. Nice crowd, amazing atmosphere. Sexy raspy voice. Ray dresses like he's Amish, but I think that's just because he's trying too hard to be cool by being anti-fashion. He really draws you into his songs, and it's reminiscent of the the time I saw M. Ward in concert. It's just hypnotizing and relaxing.

Matt Nathanson's show was fantastic. Matt's shows are always part music, part comedy. He's just got this quirky, humble attitude. He's not trying too hard to fit into the industry, he just is who he is, and I like that. His Celine Dion impression left everyone bursting with laughter. He and his guitarist rocked a Simon and Garfunkel cover. They did their own rendition of "Blister in the Sun." Matt's songs are much different from his original singer/songwriter style back in the day, but I don't think it's in a bad way. His songs are tighter, some of them more radio-friendly, yet I don't ever feel like they're lacking substance or musicality, and I like his experimentation with other styles and the addition of songs with some guest singers.

After the show, he stayed over 2 hrs while people waited in line to meet him and take pictures and stuff. I had met him once before, and when I told him it was back in 2004, he was taken aback. "Whoa, 2004? Really?" He signed my poster which he said was awesome because, "It glows in the fucking dark." and told me the first girl he ever made out with was named Alyssa. How does a gal respond to that? Hot damn.

You know, I've seen that fucker all over your last.fm page but the only song I've ever heard of his was actually the cover he did of Laid by James. I was impressed by it. You should send me some of his stuff via dropbox imo. Speaking of which, tomorrow I think I am finally going to finish that playlist I've been promising to send you since the Reagan administration.

Lysser wrote:At one point I may have called the adorable Jewish keyboardist an anti-Semite and threatened to take his job as Matt's keyboardist.

wat
    Lysser
    Lysser
    Newfag

A Fellow Named Ray and a Cat Named Matt Empty Re: A Fellow Named Ray and a Cat Named Matt

Post  Lysser Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:50 pm

Tezcatlipoca wrote:

You know, I've seen that fucker all over your last.fm page but the only song I've ever heard of his was actually the cover he did of Laid by James. I was impressed by it. You should send me some of his stuff via dropbox imo. Speaking of which, tomorrow I think I am finally going to finish that playlist I've been promising to send you since the Reagan administration.

I can definitely dropbox some of that to you. I'll get on compiling and send you the folder soon. And yes, I could REALLY use some more Licensed to Chill in my life right about now. Thanks, mang.

Tezcatlipoca wrote:

wat

You had to be there. In context, it was quite amusing. I swear he laughed and didn't want to kill me.
    Lysser
    Lysser
    Newfag

Post  Lysser Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:45 pm

Tezfuck,

I see you accepted my Matt Nathanson file on dropbox. Did you get a chance to listen? Whatchoo think?
    Tezcatlipoca
    Tezcatlipoca
    Internet Messiah
    Internet Messiah

Post  Tezcatlipoca Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:07 am

Yeah! I downloaded it alright—and by the way, thanks for sending it to me—but I haven't yet had a chance to listen to the fucker.

I think I'll do that right now. afro
    Lysser
    Lysser
    Newfag

Post  Lysser Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:03 pm

I saw Matt Nathanson again on Friday in Allentown. Small venue. Not as nice as my time at the Electric Factory, but still pretty rockin'. It's just as fun to go to a Matt Nathanson concert to hear what he says. His wit is just as enjoyable as his music. PARTY ON, GARTH!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:17 am