Head Explode

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

How well do you know your vexillology?

Maugrim
    Maugrim
    Pleb

How well do you know your vexillology? Empty How well do you know your vexillology?

Post  Maugrim Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:28 am

From the following flag descriptions identify the country or territory. Once all ten flags have been correctly identified a new set of descriptions will be posted.

Round 1:

1. Blue and white wavy bands, a red background with a yellow sun rising and a frigate bird directly above the sun.

2. A black and white canton in the top left corner and a crimson background. This country borders Turkey.

3. This African nation has three bands of red, blue and green that are separated by two fimbriations of white.

4. Two horizontal bands of blue and green with a white triangle in the hoist. Centred in the triangle is a red star.

5. Like the flag of Poland, this territory's flag has two vertical bands (white at the top and red at the bottom). It can be differentiated from the Polish flag by a red and white disk of the centre of the flag

6. This country's flag has a sky blue background, a intricate vertical stripe at the hoist and at centre is a golden sun with a soaring eagle directly below it.

7. This flag can at times be mistaken as that of England's, the most distinguishing factor other than the dimensions is the blue outline that surrounds the red cross.

8. Two vertical red bands, a white background with a green cedar tree at centre

9. A dark blue background with a horizontal dark yellow line dissecting the flag at centre which represents the equator. In the bottom left corner a white 12 point star.

10. This former Dutch colony's flag has two green vertical bands at top and bottom, a red background with white lines buffering the red and green. At centre a gold star.
    Tezcatlipoca
    Tezcatlipoca
    Internet Messiah
    Internet Messiah

How well do you know your vexillology? Empty Re: How well do you know your vexillology?

Post  Tezcatlipoca Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:26 pm

It pains me to say so, but I am horrible at identifying flags. If one of these hints contained a red and white maple leaf, then I might get there! Wait, does no. 8 qualify? Tongue
    Lysser
    Lysser
    Newfag

How well do you know your vexillology? Empty Re: How well do you know your vexillology?

Post  Lysser Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:51 pm

I'll come back to this thread when I have more time to think (at work and taking a quick break), but man, my flag knowledge sucks now. When I was 10 I think I knew almost every country's flag thanks to playing "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?" on my ancient Mac.
    Flibfuck
    Flibfuck
    Pleb

Post  Flibfuck Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:26 pm

Other countries have flags? America needs to build more flags before there's a flag gap!

Yeah, I'm like tez. I suck at flag identification.
    Lysser
    Lysser
    Newfag

Post  Lysser Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:09 pm

Flibfuck wrote:

Yeah, I'm like tez. I suck.

Suck what?
    Maugrim
    Maugrim
    Pleb

Post  Maugrim Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:55 pm

here are some clues for round 1:

1. Originally populated by Micronesians
    2. Has a very distinct language that is neither Indo-European, Turkic nor Semitic.
    3. Borders Senegal
    4. Has one of the smallest populations in Africa
    5. One of its tourist attractions is motor cycle races on ice.
    6. Most of the world's apples are grown in this country it is also known for its part in the Soviet/Russian space program
    7. Think "puffins"
    8. the Phoenician civilization originated here
    9. Tiny island rich in phosphate
    10. Country's name sounds like "Vietnam" but don't let that fool you, it's on a totally different continent.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:49 pm