Head Explode

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

"How Ayn Rand ruined my childhood"

Tezcatlipoca
    Tezcatlipoca
    Internet Messiah
    Internet Messiah

"How Ayn Rand ruined my childhood" Empty "How Ayn Rand ruined my childhood"

Post  Tezcatlipoca Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:55 am

Kind of an interesting read that sums up most of my criticisms of Randroid pseudo-intellectuals. I.e., fuckwits who watched Gordon Gecko's "Greed is good" speech in Wall Street and walked out of the theater thinking "Right on!"

(This is somewhat off topic but an interesting video explaining how said fuckwits are responsible for the current economic crisis can be found here.)

Anyway, I enjoyed reading this:

Dad wasn’t always a Rand zealot. He was raised in a Catholic family and went to church every week. After he and my mother got married in 1982, they shopped around for a church. He was looking for something to live by, but he couldn’t find it in traditional organized religion.

Then he discovered objectivism. I don’t know exactly why he sparked to Rand. He claimed the philosophy appealed to him because it’s based solely on logic. It also conveniently quenched his lawyer’s thirst to always be right. It’s not uncommon for people to seek out belief systems, whether political or spiritual, that make them feel good about how they already live their lives. Ultimately, I suspect Dad was drawn to objectivism because, unlike so many altruistic faiths, it made him feel good about being selfish.

Our objectivist education, however, was not confined to lectures and books. One time, at dinner, I complained that my brother was hogging all the food.

“He’s being selfish!” I whined to my father.

“Being selfish is a good thing,” he said. “To be selfless is to deny one’s self. To be selfish is to embrace the self, and accept your wants and needs.”

It was my dad’s classic response — a grandiose philosophical answer to a simple real-world problem. But who cared about logic? All I wanted was another serving of mashed potatoes.

http://www.salon.com/2011/04/05/my_father_the_objectivist/
    Lysser
    Lysser
    Newfag

"How Ayn Rand ruined my childhood" Empty Re: "How Ayn Rand ruined my childhood"

Post  Lysser Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:59 pm

Well, I just read most of the Ayn Rand Playboy interview, and it made me want to vom.

Also, I was thinking tonight about how objectivism is based on a man's ability to use reason. I thought I'd look up something about Ayn Rand and the mentally handicapped, and I stumbled upon this little forum. Enjoy. Puke

http://forum.objectivismonline.com/index.php?showtopic=12569

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:39 am