Head Explode

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Your Favorite Quotes, v2

Tezcatlipoca
    Tezcatlipoca
    Internet Messiah
    Internet Messiah

Your Favorite Quotes, v2 - Page 3 Empty Re: Your Favorite Quotes, v2

Post  Tezcatlipoca Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:03 pm

"Know in your heart that you have never failed at anything and you never will. What might be judged as errors or mistakes are the very stuff of growth."
    -Wayne Dyer

"He who learns must suffer. Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, until against our will, in our own despite, comes wisdom through the awful grace of god."
    -Aeschylus

"The greatest achievement is selflessness.
    The greatest worth is self-mastery.
    The greatest quality is seeking to serve others.
    The greatest precept is continual awareness.
    The greatest medicine is the emptiness of everything.
    The greatest action is not conforming with the worlds ways.
    The greatest magic is transmuting the passions.
    The greatest generosity is non-attachment.
    The greatest goodness is a peaceful mind.
    The greatest patience is humility.
    The greatest effort is not concerned with results.
    The greatest meditation is a mind that lets go.
    The greatest wisdom is seeing through appearances."
    -Atisha
    Tezcatlipoca
    Tezcatlipoca
    Internet Messiah
    Internet Messiah

Post  Tezcatlipoca Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:08 pm

"I've learned so much about the human mind and the body, and the doctors talk all the time about how you become your thoughts. It's true. With one thought it starts, you know, and if you sit there and just stay hung up on one negative thought, you will become that thought...You sit and think about that stuff, it'll happen to you. If you start thinking about darkness instead of light, or fear instead of love, you'll get in trouble. I really believe that."
    -Quincy Jones

"Sometimes I've spent two hours of my day thinking about one person I resent. And going through orations, you know, 'If he ever says this, I'll say that!' All of those things. I find myself now when I get caught up in something like that becoming conscious suddenly and going 'Oh, wait, I'm here. I'm not with that person right now. I'm creating things that don't even exist.' And it's useless. It's time badly spent."
    -Jim Carrey

"Never forget that every second is a blessing and what we do now will last forever."
    -Chad Muska
    Lysser
    Lysser
    Newfag

Post  Lysser Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:44 pm

I actually really like that one from Jim Carrey. So true.
    Tezcatlipoca
    Tezcatlipoca
    Internet Messiah
    Internet Messiah

Post  Tezcatlipoca Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:39 pm

“When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished by how much he'd learned in seven years.”
    -Mark Twain

"I think we live life in phases: childhood, where we’re too stupid to realize our parents are insane and our lives are horrible, young adulthood where we’re incredibly arrogant, rejecting everything mama taught us and making a mess of our lives, and then you have that 40-60 range where you’re the busboy clearing away piles of dirty dishes your first twenty years of adult life left behind. Cigarette put out in the scrambled eggs."
    -Christopher Priest

"Live a whole life today."
    -John Wooden
    Tezcatlipoca
    Tezcatlipoca
    Internet Messiah
    Internet Messiah

Post  Tezcatlipoca Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:47 am

"Keep on dreaming, boy, 'cause when you stop dreaming it's time to die."
    - Shannon Hoon

"Where there is no vision, the people perish."
    - Proverbs 29:18

“The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision.”
    - Helen Keller

Tezcatlipoca
    Tezcatlipoca
    Internet Messiah
    Internet Messiah

Post  Tezcatlipoca Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:52 pm

Quotes I just read in this month's issue of Esquire magazine:

"Your anger will cool into hardened passionate insight if you wait a day. Most of the things that make me angry, I try to let them sit. The heat that remains will be sufficient. The stuff that evaporates is the stuff that would have simply offended or made it histrionic."
    -Keith Olbermann

"In Macbeth, it's fascinating to see the moment when the witches actually come to Macbeth—it's after the biggest triumph of his life. The play opens and he's won two battles and he's the hero of both. Everybody loves him more than ever. And that's the moment the witches come. That's what Shakespeare shows: You're not your most vulnerable when you're broke and destitute and hungry. I mean, it's a tough moment, sure. But it's even tougher when the world gives you everything you want. That's when you're really in danger of becoming a prick."
    - Ethan Hawke

"Twenty years ago, everyone had to be too cool for school and sneer at everything. Right now, the most avant-garde thing you can do is to be sincere."
    -Steve Coogan
    Tezcatlipoca
    Tezcatlipoca
    Internet Messiah
    Internet Messiah

Post  Tezcatlipoca Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:44 pm

“It’s not the critic who counts; it’s not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done the better. The credit belongs to those of us who are actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood. We strive valiantly and sometimes there’s the triumph of achievement but at the worst, we fail, but at least we fail while daring greatly.”

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

"The best poker players don’t care what anyone else says is good or bad. They make bets that are supposed to be impossible, they fold hands that are supposed to be unfoldable, and they invent their own strategies. Make what you think is the best play, and leave it to the railbirds to squabble over the rest.”
    -Martin Bradstreet

“Maybe the critics are right. But what am I supposed to do about it – stop painting, change my work completely? I go back into the studio and there I am at the easel again. I enjoy what I’m doing and feel good working. Other thoughts are just crowded out.”
    -LeRoy Neiman

"Avoid the noise. Escape the hype. Just make things, and make sure they say something."
    -Matt Gartland

"I make things now because I enjoy making them and share because I enjoy sharing. The end. I don't even think about anything else."
    -Sharky Laguana
    Tezcatlipoca
    Tezcatlipoca
    Internet Messiah
    Internet Messiah

Post  Tezcatlipoca Sat May 03, 2014 6:50 pm

"There is but one cause of human failure. And that is man's lack of faith in his true Self."
    -William James

"The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today." 
    -Franklin D. Roosevelt

"What ever your challenge is, you can't let it defeat you. Please don't tell me you quit your job, or you can't get ahead at your job, because of a glass ceiling. Fuck a glass ceiling! If you think there's a glass ceiling holding you back, then you're a slave. Because we know that glass breaks very easily. Shatter that glass, brush off the shards, and get on with your vision."
    -Russell Simmons

“Nature loves courage. You make the commitment and nature will respond to that commitment by removing impossible obstacles. Dream the impossible dream and the world will not grind you under, it will lift you up. This is the trick. This is what all these teachers and philosophers who really counted, who really touched the alchemical gold, this is what they understood. This is the shamanic dance in the waterfall. This is how magic is done. By hurling yourself into the abyss and discovering its a feather bed.”
    -Terence McKenna

"If you want to learn to swim, jump into the water. On dry land, no frame of mind is ever going to help you."
    -Bruce Lee
    Lysser
    Lysser
    Newfag

Post  Lysser Wed May 21, 2014 9:16 pm

Tezcatlipoca wrote:"This is how magic is done. By hurling yourself into the abyss and discovering its a feather bed.”
    -Terence McKenna

Perfection.
    Lysser
    Lysser
    Newfag

Post  Lysser Wed May 21, 2014 9:22 pm

"Music begins where the possibilities of language end." - Jean Sebelius

"I frequently hear music in the heart of noise." - George Gershwin
    Tezcatlipoca
    Tezcatlipoca
    Internet Messiah
    Internet Messiah

Post  Tezcatlipoca Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:25 pm

Lysser wrote:
    Tezcatlipoca wrote:"This is how magic is done. By hurling yourself into the abyss and discovering its a feather bed.”
    -Terence McKenna

Perfection.

Word yo.

Lysser wrote:"Music begins where the possibilities of language end." - Jean Sebelius

"I frequently hear music in the heart of noise." - George Gershwin

I like these! santa See also:

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy."
    -Ludwig van Beethoven

"Music is the movement of sound to reach the soul for the education of its virtue."
    -Plato

"Without music, life would be a mistake."
    -Nietzsche

Lysser wrote:
    "You cannot protect yourself from sadness without protecting yourself from happiness." - Jonathan Safran Foer

Another good one. I saw a similar quote to this a while back that I never got around to sharing in this thread. But I thought it was profound.

“Vulnerability is the only authentic state. Being vulnerable means being open, for wounding, but also for pleasure. Being open to the wounds of life means also being open to the bounty and beauty. Don’t mask or deny your vulnerability. Be vulnerable: quake and shake in your boots with it. The new goodness that is coming to you -- in the form of people, situations, and things -- can only come to you when you are vulnerable and open.”
    - Stephen Russell
    Tezcatlipoca
    Tezcatlipoca
    Internet Messiah
    Internet Messiah

Post  Tezcatlipoca Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:32 am

"Genius often really is just persistence in disguise."
    —Ryan Holiday

"Ambition is the path to success. Persistence is the vehicle you arrive in."
    —Bill Bradley

"An expert is someone who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a narrow field."
    —Niels Bohr

"I have missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. On 26 occasions I have been entrusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I have failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."
    —Michael Jordan
    Tezcatlipoca
    Tezcatlipoca
    Internet Messiah
    Internet Messiah

Post  Tezcatlipoca Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:14 am

“The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.”
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

“People are strange: They are constantly angered by trivial things, but on a major matter like totally wasting their lives, they hardly seem to notice.”
    ― Charles Bukowski

The Dalai Lama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity, answered "Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. Then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die and then dies having never really lived. "

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:51 am